09 July 2012

Mud Slinging Web

I'm not sure if anyone else does this; and based on what people say... I don't think they do. Going into a movie, especially one that I know I want to see, with NO expectations. Well, Little to No expectations, really. I do this for a variety of reasons. One; Everyone has their own, big, bad, I'm smarter than you, opinions, which I try not to listen to. Two; I don't want to be biased or expecting to see something that's not going to happen. Too often than not, people will throw down their big words, trying to sound smart and cool and what-not. While they do this, they completely misrepresent whatever it is that they are talking about, whether it be they talk it up too much, or down too much... the point is; there's too much talking. That being said, I'm going to throw my own 2 cents out there. However, I'm going to also shimmy in the disclaimer that whatever I say is my own opinion and you are welcome to agree, disagree or determine that I like to exaggerate. On that note; you can also decide that I'm uber sarcastic and I actually mean the opposite of whatever comes out of my mouth. That choice is yours.... Now down to business.
I am a spider-man quasi-fangirl. I'm sure you're all; "What do you mean by quasi-fangirl?! That's Preposterous!" I mean that Spider-man has been my favorite for a long long long long time. I like spider-man. I received a box of spider-man cheese nips and matching beach towel for my 21st birthday; I have mountains of "memorabilia" and doo-dads. I wear my spider-man t-shirts on the regular. I do not KNOW all the lore of Spider-man, I know a lot. But I do not pretend to compare myself to the uber-nerd who's watched every single episode, and read every piece of paraphernalia, of everything related to spider-man. THAT being said. I truly enjoyed the newest film out on the subject: The Amazing Spider-Man.
I thought the casting was brilliant. Martin Sheen and Sally Field made a great pair in Uncle Ben and Aunt May. I didn't actually know they were both in it (that goes back to the whole going into things without expectations). The casting of Andrew Garfield was a little surprising when I heard about it so many months ago. He surprised me in the role. Not too squirly or wimpy or whiny, as some previous spider-man actors have been. He was a bit cooler, his head on a bit straighter, a little more; yeah I'm a nerd, but I'm not going to transfix my identity based on that... (look I'm over talking!). I feel the story was well written and delivered well. There was a level of drama to it that, by ALL means, Should be in any spider-man story. I enjoy that they've decided to explore the whole; "where are Peter's parents?" thing. I appreciate the new avenue the story is taking. Much like the choice to go with Peter's less known romantic interest in Gwen Stacy. My least favorite part about Spider-man is Mary Jane. She's ok. Not too exciting, not too awesome, not too great of a personality, and before I go into a rant about casting for her, I'll move on. Or at least I would move on if my mind weren't racing a billion miles per hour. Maybe I'll re-write this later, in the meantime; Go see The Amazing Spider-Man. I recommend it. Thank you Stan Lee and Marvel for my favorite Superhero!

No comments:

Post a Comment