02 December 2012

Wreck-it Review

I don't often go to the theater, but when I do go anymore, it's usually because whatever I'm choosing to see looks like it's worth my monetary investment. A little bit ago; my fiance and I went to the theater to see "Wreck it Ralph." Personally; I didn't have much interest in going to see this in the theater just for myself. The trailers that I saw for it, told me basically nothing about the plot, and only teased that there were video game cameos' from dozens of classic games. All the billboards I saw contained this "Ralph" character, alongside  various recognizable video game personalities. This being the case; I was led to believe that this was a Disney Pixar animated feature and was about video games. With this; I also assumed that it would contain humor that would be adequate for both adults and children, while still delivering a touching story with a moral and/or message of some sort. 

Yes, I did laugh at some spots, but I was left a little bit wanting. The feature felt like it was trying too hard, and failing a little bit. It was definitely just a children's movie. And for me to say that, is really saying something. Just ask anyone who knows me.
The voice actors didn't become their characters at all. (Ralph was the closest, but not enough to hook me into thinking he was Ralph). The only video game references were basically just the ones seen in the trailer(s) that I saw. There weren't really any good adult jokes. There was a little bit of political humor, but that left an even dryer taste in my mouth. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it while I was watching it, but I have no desire to ever see it again. Maybe if I had just rented it instead of seeing it in the theater, it would have been better. Maybe if I hadn't gone with a video game nerd, it wouldn't have rubbed me as so blah.

No comments:

Post a Comment