12 December 2012

Mirror Mirror And Cut Before It Ends

With the ensuing boredom that comes with having nothing to do; I've taken it upon myself to watch Netflix. That's right, I have appointed myself the task of watching movies when I cannot be bothered with doing other things. It started when I was waiting for the paint on my nails to dry. Now I am stuck! I started with those classics that people judge me for not having watched. I then progressed to holiday classics that I do not happen to own on DVD. Whilst perusing for another flick to continue my duty with, I found a selection of newly added recent releases. Among those releases was "Mirror Mirror."
I must now say that I was more pleased with it than I had expected to be. The only thing I'd heard about it after its initial previews, was that it was a good role for Julia Roberts. That didn't lend itself to much though. However, as far as that goes. I agree that she was excellent in it. As far as the rest of the cast goes; the dwarves were very good. But I'm not convinced everyone was right. I'm not saying that any of them were wrong, I just think that Julia Roberts casting was Oh So Good! that the rust were just short of par.
Visually, I truly liked it. I think the sets and costumes were brilliant and spoke volumes about the lifestyles of the characters. It may have been a little extreme, but this wasn't a hum-drum-drama, so I believe that the extremities were justifiable and only helped the story along. Which may have needed doing. The effects were almost seamless too. So much so that I almost forgot that they were effects and thus; almost forgot to say anything about them.
After the initial waxed people story telling (Which was fun, new and lovely in my view) the story felt a little forced. Though that may be because I know the story of Snow White and this was a retelling of it. Then again, forced is too harsh of a term, and therefore inaccurate. It may have been predictable and uninspiring. On second thought; I just didn't care for the end. I enjoyed the rest of the film as I watched it... I should probably clarify, when I say the end; The song and dance alongside the credits left a bad taste in my mouth and has me not wanting to talk about the rest of the film in a good light.
My actual review and recommendation of this film is this: Yes, it is good, and Julia Roberts was great in it. Do NOT expect much at the end when the credits start. Actually, after the dwarves thing, just stop watching all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment